Tuesday, March 4, 2014

| That's a Really Volcanic Ensemble | OOTD



Soooo this isn't a traditional outfit of the day, but I was so excited about this outfit that I couldn't not share it. We recently had a spirit week at school, and "throwback thursday" was one of the days. They encouraged us to wear our best 80s gear and my mind instantly went to the great teen movies of the decade. Most people went the neon-and-legwarmers route, but I decided to channel one of my favorite 80s movie characters: Duckie Dale from Pretty in Pink. 

Read on for outfit details! 



I originally wanted to dress as Claire from The Breakfast Club, because Molly Ringwald circa the 80s is my style icon. My friend was dressing as John Bender so it would have been cool to have the breakfast club in action, but I only had $8 and one night to pull this ensemble together, so I settled for Duckie.
I got the suit jacket and the vest at Goodwill, and I am honestly in love with the vest. Check out the detail on this thing!


Underneath it I just wore one of my mom's white button ups. Duckie sports a pretty radical bolo tie but I sadly don't own one. However I had purchased a necklace at H&M that looked strikingly like a bolo tie, so I wore that instead. I had to take some serious creative liberties with the bottom half of the ensemble, but I think I did pretty well. I cuffed my jeans once to display some polka-dotted socks andI finished the look with a pair of oxfords that I like to think would be Duckie-approved.

(Seriously, check out these shoes! I got them at TJ Maxx last spring for $16.)

Overall, I think I did a pretty good job. I couldn't rock a hat or sunglasses during class, but I think I had the Duckie aesthetic. I felt more comfortable in this outfit than I do in any of my others, which makes me think I should emulate this fearless style icon more often. 
(Look how cute he is! *heart eyes* Why aren't there boys like him at my school?)

What's your favorite 80s movie/character? Let me know in the comments below! 

                                                                                                            talk 2 u l8r,
                                                                                                                        Rachel






No comments:

Post a Comment